Friday, June 17, 2016

All of Humanity




Francisco is an old man that lives near us. His crippled body stands a proud 5'2''. He tells stories to the neighborhood children who gather on his doorstep after school. His gait is uneven and it takes him about an hour to walk 2 blocks. If you notice, his left hand is turned around and faces up rather than down. I love him! He reminds me of my sweet Grandpa Welby whose back in the States waiting for us to get home again (my brother is living with him and taking care of his this summer) - sweet old men who have lots of life experience. 

It's impossible to watch Francisco hobble around without your heart strings being tugged - in a major way. It makes me ponder on life, on disease and disability, on compassion, on just being human. We all struggle to get through something in life - some of our struggles are really visible, like Francisco's, other struggles are hidden in the heart. I feel a human connection whenever I see Francisco. Somehow he represents all of humanity - the latter end of life that encompasses the circle of life - he's lived through it all at this point and is gracefully awaiting the next phase of his life. With courage and determination he faces his life each day and works to keep going. His gentle ways and sweet spirit uplift those who come in contact with him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment