Friday, May 13, 2011

Palm Leaves, Dreadlocks and Agri!

Agri is the event of the year! Agri is short for Agriculture and is an alternate name for the national fair. Agri can basically be compared to a typical American State Fair.It’s hosted in the capital, Belmopan, and booths with palm leaf roofs cover acres of land downtown. Kyle and Megan had to travel back to Belize City to pick up some things we left at D’Nest Inn and they stopped at the fair to see the to do and meet with some humanitarian aid partners.

Look at this guy's dreads!!


To give you an idea of how anticipated this event is, there is a beauty salon that is run on the bottom floor of our house and the salon was packed for days. When I inquired if the owner of the salon was always this busy, she replied, “No, but this is Agri. Everyone is getting ready for it.” Locals get haircuts and dyes, brow waxes, and fingernails and toenails painted to prepare for this big event.

I got my haircut on Saturday, I guess in celebration of Agri (really, it just happened to coincide ).This is me with my new and shorter haircut, courtesy of Patricia the salon owner on the bottom floor of our house. I love it! It’s so cool as it’s off my neck and, bonus! I don’t have to do a thing to it – no brush, blowdryer or flat iron. Keep me here!!


Funny sign!





Kyle found Noni! We love Tahitian Noni and thought we'd give Belizean noni a try. And the verdict...it's delicious!







Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment